The New Guide Baptist Church was organized by a small group from the Scotlandville area under the leadership of Reverend Ike Kelly. This group eventually moved to North 19th Street in 1914.
After the death of Reverend Kelly in 1915, Reverend L.C. Crier led the flock until 1921. Reverend Thomas A. Levy was called to pastor the church in 1922 and concentrated on building a new facility. In 1930 the new facility was erected. The church was called the Greater New Guide Baptist Church. Reverend Levy led the congregation until his death in 1946. Reverend Joseph H. Freeman was elected as pastor in July 1946. Under his leadership, many new committees and ministries were formed.
Click here to read more.